D

D
As many of you may know, our beloved sister hostess SHARON DONOVAN, tragically passed away on 11th April 2012. We who knew her, loved her, and were inspired by her courage and determination to face head on whatever life threw at her. When she could no longer see to paint she turned to writing and showed her amazing talent in the Inspirational Romance and Romantic Suspense genres, and her story 'Charade Of Hearts' was awarded the coveted Predators and Editors Award in January 2011.

This Blog was a source of great delight to her, she was one of the founder hostesses and she contributed to the fun and silliness in her own original way, and was kind enough to let her unique creation, the hunky butler 'Oliver' join us for our Friday romp and prepare 'virtual breakfast' for the guests on the following morning. It's beyond hard to have to go on without her, but we know that she would have been the first to insist that 'the show must go on.' She is, and will always be with us in spirit.
Sharon, dear friend, we will never forget you.
The Author Roast and Toast is part of the legacy you left us. Let's raise a Toast to you as well as all our guests.
***********************************************************

Friday, August 29, 2014

Donna Steele's cruise to Alaska for 'The Melting'


The cruise ship pulls out of port and heads toward the Alaskan glaciers. Despite a high of 62 degrees Fahrenheit, Lilly shivers and slides closer to LaVerne. "I'm freezing."

LaVerne glances at Lilly's short sleeves and raises a brow. "Then perhaps you should have dressed for the weather."

"It's still summer in North Carolina. Who knew it would be this cold?" Lilly's teeth chatter.

LaVerne laughs. "It's the end of winter in New Zealand, so I'm loving this weather."

Mac strolls across the deck in shorts as if it were hot outside. "Has anyone seen Mary or Lyn? I can't find them anywhere."

"We're up here!" Lyn shouts.

Mac, Lilly, and LaVerne turn to see Lyn and Mary sitting atop the ship in one of the life boats. Lyn cups her hands around her mouth and shouts down to the other hostess. "We're on the lookout for our guest of honor, Donna Steele."

"Her hunky hero, Professor David Morrow will be flying Donna and Dr. Amanda Sutton in on a private helicopter," Mary explains. "David thinks the virus might have originated on a cruise ship, so he wants to spend as little time as possible on board."

"Virus? There's a virus on board this ship?" LaVerne pulls her shirt up over her mouth.

"I'm sure this ship has been sanitized or something." Mac watches with worried eyes as Mary and Lyn climb down from the life boat and approach the other hostess who are gathered together on deck.

"We're perfectly safe," Mary says.

"Relax ladies, and enjoy the scenery," Lyn says. "Why, just look at those glaciers."
Lilly's eyes grow round. "I've read Donna's book and there's something scary about those melting ice bergs. I mean, the series isn't called The Melting for no reason."
Mary shoves a beer into Lilly's hand. "Relax. Drink. Enjoy."

Lyn shakes her head. "Look at the lovely ice sculptures."

LaVerne swallows. "Melting ice sculptures. Global warming. World wide pandemic. I write stuff like this. I know when things are about to turn bad."

"They're not going to be zombies or anything on board. Are there?" Lilly looks to the other hostesses for reassurance.

"Were there zombies in Donna's book?" Lyn asks.

"Noooo...."

"Then relax, Lilly, and have a good time." Mary says.

Mac grabs Lilly's arm and drags her toward the dining room. "The reception is about to begin."

"Oh, and there's Oliver," LaVerne gushes. "Isn't he the most handsome waiter of all?"

"Yes," Lyn agrees, "But would you look at those yummy crab legs."

"Oh, there's also salmon and caviar, Mary adds.




"Oh!" Mac gasps. "Look at that lovely Baked Alaska."

"Oliver really outdid himself this time," LaVerne says, smiling as Oliver approaches with a bottle of
champagne.

Mac smacks her lips. "Pour me a drink!"

Before Oliver can fill her glass, she points across the dining room to an upper deck. "Look! Here comes Donna, and David and Amanda are with her."

"Then let the celebration begin!"


The Melting - Blurb

David Morrow has studied global warming first as a prodigy and now as a respected professor.

He knows the value of sustainability and clean energy. But is it too late for the planet? He expected the rising of the seas, harsh hundred-year storms, but he never expected this.

Amanda Sutton first studied medicine to please her father, now she’s part of the scramble to find a cure before the virus destroys civilization.

Will the strange connection between them keep them together as the world disintegrates around them?

Excerpt -

Dr. Amanda Sutton checked her coat at the door and took a quick glance in the mirror near the entrance. She hated these stupid cocktail parties. Okay, she was affiliated with the medical school at Georgetown University, but she had graduated some time ago. She was already making a name for herself in the field of pathology, at least around here. It wasn't really a big deal, but she found herself annoyed anyway. Mostly with herself. Once again the males in the pathology department had managed to get her to attend a thank you reception. This one was for the gift of an endowed chair in the medical school. So what if the donor was some former congressman? She hadn't voted for him.

She only needed to put in an appearance tonight, which didn't quite explain the care she had taken with her makeup. She had her blonde hair down for a change, her regular ponytail a little too casual for this occasion. Maybe no one would recognize her.

She stood five foot seven and in heels, like tonight, nearly touched five nine. The royal blue dress she wore emphasized her blue eyes and slim body and hopefully didn't show too much leg. She never dressed like this. She was much more comfortable in her scrubs or jeans, but  Scott, her supervisor, had stressed this was a dress up night. Of course, he wasn't here to put up with it.

She didn't really blame Scott. He had a family he worked hard to spend time with, and she didn't. That shouldn't make her time off less valuable. It was his supervisor who held title of the biggest pain. Dr. Anton Guilford demanded such off hour duties and as the solo woman in the group, she was expected to handle these things. At least she'd finally put a stop to getting the coffee for everyone. Baby steps.

Amanda was quite sure the esteemed Dr. Guilford didn't believe women should be allowed to attend medical school even in this day and age. One of these days she would drag her knuckles on the floor to see if he noticed. She had thought in the twenty-first century all of those cretins would have died off. Unfortunately not.

With a sigh, she entered the large room and scanned it for someone she recognized. Several people from the medical school were already here, but they were all engaged with others, so she made her way to the bar. With a glass of white wine in hand, she moved over to the horsd'oeuvres table, nodding at a few people, but keeping her distance.

Something made her look up, and she spotted a man entering the room. Tall, he probably hit a little over six feet, with dark hair that needed a haircut. Also slim, with an excellent build, he had what she referred to as a swimmer's body—broad shoulders tapering down to a tight butt. She was confident she wasn't the only woman staring. If they ever hired strippers for these events, he'd be the one she'd choose. No, he looked more like he could pose for GQ or something.

He turned and caught her staring at him. Amanda forced herself to look away, hoping she hadn’t made him uncomfortable. Judging by his expression, she had. Well, she couldn't blame him. What was wrong with her? She placed a couple of crackers on a napkin and moved away from the table. God, she was probably blushing.

****

More than tired of being hauled out for these events, David Morrow had joined the party under protest. The donor had probably made his money in oil or coal or deforestation, somehow raping the land. David hadn't bothered to look him up this time. The man would no doubt try to corner him somewhere and attempt a debate on how wrong David's theories were. The planet wasn't heating up and even if it were, it was probably some cyclical thing. Nothing that the congressman's industry could be condemned for. And certainly nothing he would spend funds to fix.

Projecting much? He wandered toward the ballroom where he heard the noise and stepped inside. He scanned the room and immediately his eyes were drawn to a young woman in blue, her long blonde hair spilling past her shoulders. And she looked at him.

He took an involuntary step forward, inexplicably drawn to her. But the hand on his armstopped him. It took a heartbeat before he recognized Phyllis Lawrence as the owner of the hand.

"I didn't know you'd be here tonight. We could have come together." The woman fussed coyly at him. Was she flirting?

If he'd known she would be here he'd have worked harder not to be. "Sorry, I barely had time to get here from the lab. I won't be staying long," David replied.

"You will if the Provost sees you. Drinks later?"

He managed not to sigh. Phyllis had been a mistake and it looked like he'd be paying for it forever. She had been a good tutor in all things sexual, but the attraction no longer existed.
David could see her now for the—oh, hell, say it—the star f***r she was.

"I need to make it an early night. Let's see how long this thing takes."
She nodded but seemed disinclined to leave his side until a professor joined them and
distracted her. David silently wished the man luck and scanned the room for the woman in blue.



Women strong enough for love.
I write science fiction, paranormal and small town romance eBooks about women coming into their strength and having the courage to find and accept love.

As an empty nester with my beloved best friend and husband (who actually encourages this mad passion of mine) I write all the time – whether or not I have a pen or keyboard handy.

Ever since I learned to read—from Superman Comics, Dick, Jane and Sally held no appeal—I’ve wanted to write. The possibilities of science fiction have always drawn me and I’ve read them all.  There just needed to be a little more romance in them. I finally got up the courage and I’m delighted that I’m able to share these stories with you.

My premiere novel, a science fiction romance – Rth Rising – was released on March 3, 2012 through Rebel Ink Press. My romance eBooks Learning Trust, Homecoming, Welcome Home, Red Shoes,  Wraith’s Heart,  Nowhere for Christmas and The Melting,Book 1- The Infection are now available at all eBook sellers. Wraith’s Heart and Learning Trust are now also available in paperback through Amazon. 

I’m a member of Romance Writers of America, the Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Chapter of RWA and the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers.








***GIVEAWAY***
To win a copy of 's book, all you have to do is just leave a comment and your e-mail address.
Contest ends on Sunday and everyone who comments is eligible.
(We reserve the right to waive the prize in any week when there are not enough contestants for a draw to be deemed fair and unbiased)

52 comments:

  1. Good Morning Donna, welcome to your roast and congratulations on he Melting - sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to see you all here and don't worry, the ship is NOT the problem. And can you pass me some of that salmon and caviar??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning all! Since it's still early, I'll have a mimosa and smoked salmon to start the day. So glad to see David and Amanda's story published. I was lucky enough to read an advanced, pre-published copy of The Melting and I absolutely LOVED it. It's Outbreak meets The Andromeda Strain with romance, but David is taller and sexier taller than Dustin Hoffman's character in Outbreak and no monkeys are responsible for the virus. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David is a hunk. I love how he towers over me (oh and Amanda) Dustin, not so much with the towering.

      Delete
    2. When you're 5' nothing like me, ANYONE towers over! :)

      Delete
    3. Hiya chickies. I love a towering man, but I love even more there are no monkeys. :-) Congrats Donna!

      Delete
    4. Thanks! Uh, Monkeys, I need to read back . . .

      Delete
  4. OH to be on a cruise again to Bermuda. My OH and I haven't gone on one for YEARS due to our "fur children" needing medication, and they could be a terror with anyone else trying to give them it. Anyway, OH is due to retire by the end of the year, and having no children we'll be free as a bird to TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL We loved eating the "fancy" menus they had on the cruises we took.

    BEST OF LUCK with ALL of your writing endeavors !!! :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try an Alaskan cruise - we loved it (and very inspirational!) The food is to die for . . . .

      Delete
    2. Hiya Robin. They really do need to have pet friendly cruises. LOL Can you imagine? On second thought, maybe not. :-)

      Delete
    3. I'm gonna chime in with a maybe not on that one.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lilly *waves to sister hsotess* and Robin. great to see you, and we hope you'll enjoy the menu Donna and Oliver have put tgether too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lyn! Brrr. I know it's still summer, even here in Alaska, but I"m not like Donna. I prefer warm weather to cold. And if the scenery weren't so gorgeous....the glaciers and David, lol!...I'd be inside my cabin with a hot Irish coffee. So maybe we can all head inside the dining room now for some blood warming libations and another heart-pounding excerpt from The Infection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was born in Vermont, this is nothing. I always wanted to take an Alaskan cruise. So watch out for icebergs and hide the mead from Lyn. We don't want her falling overboard. Too bad we couldn't bring the sidekicks, Nibby would love the cold. She has the longest fur...Now about those waiters. King Crab legs are my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crab is my favorite seafood. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the ice sculpture melting?? Everyone should take a little more champagne for medicinal purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's freezing out here. Nothing is melting. And I like warm weather. So, global warming can't be all that bad. Can it? Then again, I don't think those glaciers should be that small, even in August. Uh oh! That can't be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Put another sweater on and hope for more cold!

      Delete
  11. Sorry, I had to go find some warmer clothes. Someone dressed me in SHORTS! Brrrr I live in Phoenix, people. 80 degrees is chilly to me. Now, where's the martini bar on this boat? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL! Seriously, I laughed out loud until my stomach hurt.

      Delete
  12. Here Mac take my coat. This cool weather is wonderful. I live in South Florida which is like purgatory, especially in the summer. I have a lack of vitamin D, in the sunshine state, imagine!! I never could get used to this humid heat. It's relentless! People born in cooler climates can put on a coat if they need it, or even thermals. But, here you can't go far past naked. LOL Mary passes Mac a hot Toddy while she grabs the champagne glass from Mac's hands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me I go as far as I can but the people in the office get offended. Love Alaskan weather! And I can drink and not worry about a hot flash - tehehehe

      Delete
    2. My sister belongs to a club called the Women of Waynesville. I get a kick outta them posting a tasteful nude calendar. Now me, I'd never do it, I am a firm believer of having mercy on strangers. LOL, But, you got to give them credit for guts to raise money for their charitable causes. Now me, I'm thinking a few lifts of some body parts would be a charitable cause.
      I sometimes go naked under my clothes. :)

      Delete
  13. *hic* I don't know why everyone keeps casting aspersh, asperc - comments about me and mead! As it's still officially summer here in the UK and the temperature's about 50% at the moment, this Alaskan weather feels positively balmy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I need to find out about the mead...

      Delete
    2. Mead is the one thing I know you love to drink. Stands to reason that hiding the mead from a mead-head is probably a good thing. It goes right to your feet Lyn. HeHe.

      Delete
  14. No problem Donna, come with me, I have a secret stach - stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her stash is never depleted. So, since she turned me on to the taste of it, which i find quite nice. she brought it over from England. I can't find it here! Don't really like the taste of beer, wine, or alcohol. It has to be like disguised in a say Pina Colada. Otherwise I am a cheap date... but, mead is--different. I feel all medieval or Celtic. and think of the new Jamie on Outlander. Never thought I'd get the hots for a red headed warrior. But, well...it must be the mead?

      Delete
    2. Hate to tell you Mary but mead is wine - honey wine - and very alcoholic! :)
      (Why d'you think it gives me hiccups! *grin*) I don't like beer though, or gin.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I remember, but it doesn't taste like wine,really. Good,hic...mead good. I will suffer through champagne but not a lot.

      Delete
  15. Hope our guests don't start slipping out early, but it is Labor Day weekend here in the states. I'm going to stay right here, warming myself from the inside out with one of those yummy cocktails on Oliver's tray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing nothing, I don't have relatives here. My friends are hours away, whine, whine. I am making hot dogs for dinner!! The ones that snap when you bite into them. So, pass the crab legs, before they go to your butt Lilly. Must be all that butter eh?

      Delete
    2. Mmm. Butter. And wine. Oh. Wait. You said whine, not wine. But while we're on the subject of wine, I'll have a Bordeaux please.

      Delete
  16. I want to go back and visit the zombie suggestion - I know very little about zombies, but they would surely be interesting on a cruise ship. And running from them would surely warm up some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about zombies. Getting away from them doesn't include jumping - that would put us in the position of Jack and Rose. Though if we push them in it would be easier to bash in a frozen head . . .

      Delete
    2. Hmm. Dead meat freezes, so why wouldn't zombies freeze too. Yep, I like your idea of bashing in frozen zombie heads, Donna. lol!

      Delete
  17. Hi PK make yourself at home, so glad you could join the party. I am actually quite thankfl there aren't any zombies on this ship - although you're right that running away from them would probably warm us up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with a hot looking zombie, mind you newly zombitized I prefer.Though the thought of it, mmmm.
      Or maybe you meant warm up from running as Lyn suggested? I hate to say it, but overboard comes to mind. And then there's always large engine workerswho work on those propellers with big tools...

      Delete
  18. Fabulous post, great photos, and I loved the Wraith's Heart Book Trailer. Good luck with all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi NLB thanks for stopping by Donna's party. Glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I seem to remember you and I sharing a slurp of mead together, Mary! :)

    I agree, I think champagne is rather overated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember something about it. LOL. I wish I could find a place to buy it. Online, I'll have to look. It really tastes wonderful. And kinda slides by you cause it doesn't taste bitter or strong. Mead under the stars.

      Delete
  21. Off to make trouble. I love cruise ships, they are sooooo much fun. Like a city that never sleeps. WOOHOO! Forget about the crews though. Not worth it.It's all about the food and stars at night by the zillions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That would be fantastic Donna - always wanted to see the aurora borealis! Sadly I have to go to bed now before I turn into a pumpkin. See you at breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a good night! Thanks so much for partying with me today!

      Delete
  23. Oh, I'm running late to the party! Sorry girls, I thought I had this time-travel thing all worked out. And that gets me thinking about the lovely Jamie from Outlander too. Mmm...if only it were that kind of time-travel! :)

    Donna - I love the cold, so an Alaskan cruise appeals hugely to me. And with a handsome hero to warm up with, what could be better! Lucky, lucky Amanda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lyn wakes up to the smell of bacon and eggs - and waffles! Mmmmmm thank you Oliver you always know what I'm fancying; *Giggle* no not that! :)

    Hi La Verne, we thought you must have got stuck ina time warp - these time travel apps. are not the easiest things to figure out are they. I do agree - amanda is one very lucky heroine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you this morning - LaVerne if you were off with Jamie, I'm surprised to made it here already! Though David could keep a girl warm around all those glaciers too.

      Delete
  25. Just saw it was supposed to be 97 on Tuesday back at home. Think I'll stay on the ship for awhile! Can Oliver stay with me?

    ReplyDelete

AUTHOR ROAST AND TOAST

AUTHOR ROAST AND TOAST
authorroast@btinternet.com
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE OUR GUEST? DO YOU WANT TO PROMOTE YOUR NEW RELEASE OR EVEN AN OLDER ONE?IF YOU FANCY BEING GUEST OF HONOUR AT ONE OF OUR PARTIES JUST EMAIL US AT THE ADDRESS in 'OLIVER'S RULES'!(PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A 'G' RATED BLOG SO NOTHING HIGHER THAN THIS RATING, PLEASE.)