D

D
As many of you may know, our beloved sister hostess SHARON DONOVAN, tragically passed away on 11th April 2012. We who knew her, loved her, and were inspired by her courage and determination to face head on whatever life threw at her. When she could no longer see to paint she turned to writing and showed her amazing talent in the Inspirational Romance and Romantic Suspense genres, and her story 'Charade Of Hearts' was awarded the coveted Predators and Editors Award in January 2011.

This Blog was a source of great delight to her, she was one of the founder hostesses and she contributed to the fun and silliness in her own original way, and was kind enough to let her unique creation, the hunky butler 'Oliver' join us for our Friday romp and prepare 'virtual breakfast' for the guests on the following morning. It's beyond hard to have to go on without her, but we know that she would have been the first to insist that 'the show must go on.' She is, and will always be with us in spirit.
Sharon, dear friend, we will never forget you.
The Author Roast and Toast is part of the legacy you left us. Let's raise a Toast to you as well as all our guests.
***********************************************************

Friday, July 19, 2013

Eva Gordon's post-apocalypse zombie bunker party




Dressed in jeans and T shirts, the hostesses  are on the way to their next party. It’s an eerie night and dark beyond belief. A night for goblins, ghosts, or monsters, no it’s a post apocalypse zombie bunker/party. Practice for the real thing.

“Are we there yet?” Mac asks for the umpteenth time. Ever forgetful she sighs. “Why did you say we are visiting a this place?” Foster, Nibby, Hampy, and Cuddles, are all leaning on the windows with excitement.

“Because that’s where the party is.” Lyn says. “And I promise it will be fun.” She checks her huge shoes.


The four hostesses drive slowly up the narrow dirt road and in the distance they see a small ranch style house with a huge yard. The sun sinks in the distance and darkness falls swiftly. By the time they arrive at the front door it’s dark and lights on the house pop on so that they can see a few people heading to the back of the house.

“Why are they heading to the back yard?” Mac wonders as she stops the car. Out the open window the critters jump and disappear into the large, lush, yard to explore. “Don’t disappear now. It will be time to eat soon.

“Because the party is in a bunker.” Lyn grins.

“A bunker? You mean an underground place, like for the end of the world kinda thing?” Patsy csmiles, flexes her Popeye arms, and opens her car door.

“Exactly.” Lyn says. “It’s a post-apocalypse zombie party. Our author this week, Eva Gordon, has a new release called, Apocalyptic Moon. This ought to be fun. There is just one small thing I have to warn you all about. There is the slight chance that zombies might crash the party”

“Zombies, yeah right.” Mary laughs nervously. “There isn’t  really any such thing as zombies, are there?”

“Don’t worry, it’ll be fine, come on girls we’re late.” Lyn slams the car door and rushes her buddies to the back of the house. Nothing looks out of order. Lush bushes line the side of the house, the scent of jasmine cloying to their senses. The girls are greeted and shown the stairs that head down to the bunker.

They are amazed at what they see. It’s just like a home underground.

“What are those heavy thick doors for?” Mac asks.

“To keep the zombies out, when the world as we know it ends, and we are fighting to keep the infected masses out of here.” Eva walks up to the girls and hugs each of them.

“You mean there are zombies.” Mary wonders. “I’m didn’t think they really exist.

Oliver (c) S.Donovan 
“Well not yet,” Eva answers. “But things could get ugly if they ever come to fruition.” She grins. “For the sake of this evening let’s pretend.”

Oliver, looking forever handsome, stands behind a table stacked with ready to eat meals in boxes.

On each box is written what’s inside. Several different varieties of meals fill the table. Beef stroganoff, Chicken and dumplings, Fish stew, spaghetti and meat sauce, and the ever popular in Hawaii, spam. Several people are eating the food and they appear to be enjoying the many other types of meals Oliver has provided.





“Gourmet dried beef in cream sauce. Hmmm. Is that what they refer to as…” Mary almost blurts out the words, but Lyn tackles her stopping the words from being uttered.
“Yes, and for your information it’s very good when cooked properly. Now behave.” Lyn sits on Mary until she promises to behave. Then let’s her up off the floor when she promises to.

“Shingle,” Mary utters, stands, brushes herself off, and sticks her tongue out at Lyn.

Patsy is laughing so hard she doesn’t notice the person who walks up behind her. “There is lots to eat ladies, don’t be shy. And for libation we offer Zombie cocktails, Flesh in a glass, Bite me, Bloody Marys, and Wolfs’bane tonic, to mention a few. Plus for desert we have Baked Intestine,” the stranger behind Patsy tells her. 

bloody mary drinks photo: Bloody Mary Img0012.jpg


Patsy turns around and screams at the top of her lungs, then passes out. The stranger is dressed in rags, with fake blood and yuk all over it.

“Wow, I wasn’t going to bite her. Where’s her sense of humor?” He utters as he leaves to find someone who appreciates his costume.

“Well, should we help her up?” Mary suggests. Then she turns to Lyn and Mac. She looks around and then down on the ground she notices them passed out too. “Oh well, I’ll take a Bite Me, Eva.” She takes Eva’s arm and they stroll to the drink table.

“Maybe I should have warned them that there would be people in zombie costumes? Are they going to be okay?” Eva wonders as she eyes the girls who are out cold.

“Sure, this stuff happens all the time. Luckily it wasn’t me this time.” Mary raises her glass in a toast.

“To Eva and her terrific story, Apocalyptic Moon.” She looks down at the three fainted hostesses. “And to my dearest sister hostesses, may you never meet the real thing.”

“Just another roast and toast.” Mary clicks Eva’s glass and chuckles. “To your new release Eva.” Mary raises her glass.

A mumble from the floor answers her toast. “What we won’t do for our authors.” Lyn moans before she passes out again.

APOCALYPTIC MOON

Blurb:
Dr. Dora Adler’s life has been in disarray since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse, but when she gets bitten by one of the undead her whole world is turned upside down. Held captive in a secret underground lab, the tall, muscular hunk in the next cell is her only hope for salvation. Unfortunately, he claims to be a werewolf. Yeah, and she’s supposedly a witch. 

Dirk Gunderson is an alpha Arbor pack werewolf. Captured and collared, he’s sold to the zombie lab in hopes his blood serum can create a vaccine. He needs to escape, but not without the hot little brunette witch.

In the midst of enemy werewolves and the hordes of undead, Dirk and Dora’s sexual tension ignites a blaze hotter than the desert highway. Along their journey, they 
battle the inevitable: a werewolf must never take a witch as a mate.


Excerpt:

“Dora, get on the bike and close your eyes.” His voice sounded shaken. Not a good thing coming from a nightmarish werewolf.
For once, she wouldn’t argue. He might have seen something up ahead that was worse. She wiped her lips with her sleeve and nodded. “Let’s go.”
“First, I’m going to get all this crap out of the way.”
 She peeked. He used his werewolf power and speed to clear the last one hundred or so yards of the bridge. He threw bikes and skeletons into the ocean. A dark premonition made her blood run cold. The loud caw of a raven flew over Dirk and seemed to warn him. He turned and began racing back to her at breakneck speed.
She looked over shoulders. A swarm appeared out of nowhere and stepped on the bridge from the San Francisco side. Zombies bunched up like runners at the start of a marathon race, but fortunately at a snail’s pace. They scuffled, slowly, many with their heads tilted to the side with out-stretched arms, sniffing and moaning. A few had missing arms, with bloody stumps that hung like butchered headless chickens. A former SFPD officer with a blood-splattered uniform caught her attention. He was older than her brother in-law, Victor. She sighed as her heart broke. She’d sensed Victor had left the earthly plane, but now a quick vision moved across her mind like a movie clip. Victor had been bitten and had seen to a group of people safely board a ferry. Before the hoard came for him, he shot several ghouls and used his last bullet for himself. Oh, Victor.
Dirk reached her and shook her. “Dora, snap out of it.”


Author Bio:
I write fantasy and paranormal novels with a strong romantic element. I love to create stories that combine my passion for mythology, romance and werewolf lore. I also write steampunk and Victorian era historical and
alternative novels. Busy sending them out to agents and publishers.

Apocalyptic Moon is the first in my After the Bane series. Coming soon will be Lycan Gladiator in my paranormal wolfish romance historical series, The Wolf Maiden Saga.

I have a BS in Zoology and graduate studies in Biology. I have taught high school Biology, Environmental Science and Anatomy/Physiology. When not in my den writing, I enjoy world travel, steampunk conventions, hiking, raptor rehabilitation and wolf sanctuaries.
I also teach online workshops on wolf lore ancient falconry and animal lore for Romance Writers of America and other writer groups. If you are interested in my workshops, please contact me.

Learn more about Eva Gordon below





***GIVEAWAY***
To win a copy of Eva's book, all you have to do is just leave a comment and your e-mail address.
Contest ends on Sunday and everyone who comments is eligible.

58 comments:

  1. Hi Eva - welcome to your Roast. '
    I must say 'Apolcalyptiuc Moon' sounds a really exciting read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya chickies! *air kisses*

    Hey Eva. Welcome! Congrats on the release of Apocalyptic Moon. It sounds like a wild ride. I think I'll stick close to you since you obviously have some experience with all this scary stuff. And I'll take a drink. A LARGE drink. Wow, zombies, witches and a werewolf! *shudders* Have I mentioned I'm a weenie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to be here. What a fun party!! I especially love hanging out with Oliver. He's as hot as Dirk (hero in my novel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have a soft spot for Oliver,Eva, so you're not alone! :) His heart always belonged to our Sharon though. He still mixes a mean Martini, prepares amazing meals and winks at our lovely guest of Honour when he thinks no-one's looking, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try his Martini. Most of the evening I'll be hanging with Dirk. Nothing better than having a hot werewolf friend during the zombie apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun!! I like all the commentary and recipes. Looking forward to the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Michelle. Welcome. Eva's story sounds like fun, doesn't it? Now if I can just get Oliver to distract her so I can steal Dirk away. Having a werewolf bodyguard at a zombie party is definitely the way to go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, pffft. I just realized I've been commenting under the AR&T identity. Gah! What the heck is in those wolf's bane tonics, Oliver? Hiya again, everyone. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL Mac! We saw through your disguise!

    Hope the zombies out there didn't though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I brought some music. Abney Park. But we better keep it down so the zombies don't hear us. They are highly attuned to noise and then drawn to our scent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, that , that sounds good, Eva, the music that is, not the zombies!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to be late, the internet is not my friend!
    I'll have a Bloody Mary, never had one and well it's about time to try one. How do we tell the zombies from the humans? Take a bite?? Or wait to be bitten?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary.

    Please don't get bitten. I'm having a Wolf's Bane Tonic. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Note To Self: Don't Get Bitten. Good Tip Eva

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know if a vampire bites you, you're a vampire. How about a zombie??
    How do they happen?
    I keep smacking this guy, and he keeps drooling, not over my assets, but he is eying me like a big roast beef. Help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Within 24 hours the Z-phage virus kills you, but not for long, minutes later you reanimate with only one desire: human flush. Best to shoot him in the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, geez. That sounds pleasant. NOT!

    Come stand by me, Miss Roast Beef. Dirk is intimidating, and Foster swears he can cast a protection spell, but it'll cost us. You can help me hold him down until he relents. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll hold Foster firmly next to my assets, he might change his mind??? A nice hug should do the trick. If I start to look like a ham let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. At least my zombies don't eat animals. I just returned from walking my dog and his buddy. I'm training them not to bark at the zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Speaking of, I need to get another bag of dog chow and I'll be back around 6ish Eastern Time. Actually, during the apocalypse when the store shelves run out of food, one can always head for the local pet or feed store. Gross. But this is survival.

    ReplyDelete
  21. -I guess I'd rather eat dog biscuits than brains!

    At the risk of making Oliver jealous I have to admit I'm drooling a bit over Dirk, can you tell us some more about him?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oops, I did it this time There's definitely something in that Wolf's Bane Tonic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Let the dogs bark, Nibbie says. Like an early warning system.
    How about another short excerpt, Eva? Would love one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,
    better they growl, zombies know where there are dogs there are people.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your demon dog is the perfect companion for the zombie apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nibbie is rather imposing isn't she! Her eyes only glow like that for the Roast, although Mary says she has her moments even though she's a sweetheart really!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really? So does my rescued Jack Russell. I wonder if many dogs do, I'm sure they see things we don't. He is a bit delusional though - he thinks he's a werewolf and runs out howling like a banshee at nothing - scary if you just hear him and don't see him, but a more loving, gentle little dog it would be hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not sure what works on a zombie! I'll borrow a blaster from my starship's arsenal and see if that works. I might be gone a while, so stay safe everyone. I'm hoping Oliver and Dirk and the 'sidekicks' will
    protect you!

    Hope you're enjoying your party as much as we are, Eva, see you tomorrow, if I make it without running into the zombies that is!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love a zombie story. This one sounds like a cool read.
    Here's my email address would love to win a copy:
    georgie@georgietyler.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hiya Georgie! *waves frantically*

    Eva, no one mentioned bringing along weapons. Will a stiletto work? I could poke them in the eye. Wait! Do zombies HAVE eyes? I'm so confused.

    ReplyDelete
  31. They might sneak up on us while we are enjoying our drinks. Yes,a poke into the brain will work. Sorry, I used to teach anatomy/physiology.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Zombies really are super gross & creepy. Let's hope it never comes to this.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What fun this is! Toast to Eva - much success to you!! You know how I love the book. Can't wait for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Eva!!! finally found the comment box LOL CONGRATULATIONS yet again Mazel Tov!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was wondering if zombies all look like deteriorated humans, or could a zombie be handsome? I ask because there is a guy by the food pack table, and he is hot. Just very pale. No vampires here right? Anyhow, before I go over to say hello, I'd like to be sure...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Eva, you're terrific and I hope you make the NYT best sellers list! You were a great guest and I still wonder about that guy. Zombie love or no zombie love, that's the question! LOL
    Lyn is gonna have to fight me for Dirk!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh no I missed a zombie bunker party. Had a busy two days here. What a fun sounding party too. I think I will pass on the Baked Intestine though. LOL. Great book trailer. Sounds like a really good book.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Sue, great to see you again! No worries, our parties carry on over the weekend and there's plenty of food left. I think the zombies have gone to ground too! Actually the baked intestine is much nicer than it looks - very sweet and choclaty, no body parts at all!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Mary,
    Zombies are slowly decomposing so no matter how handsome once bitten the zombie goes on a kill and eat spree.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Sue,
    I have plenty of canned goods to share. How about some a Zombie Mohito drink?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mary and Lyn, Dirk is already taken by Dora and she has some powers you don't want to mess with.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for the Roast, I had and I'm still having fun. Today we had to stop a migrating horde of zombies so I missed a good part of the day. Since I'm a raven shifter and got away by flying back.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for the Roast, I had and I'm still having fun. Today we had to stop a migrating horde of zombies so I missed a good part of the day. Since I'm a raven shifter and got away by flying back.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for the Roast, I had and I'm still having fun. Today we had to stop a migrating horde of zombies so I missed a good part of the day. Since I'm a raven shifter and got away by flying back.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Good morning. I would love to try a Zombie Mohito drink. I think the zombies are hiding.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  46. Howlo Sue,
    Yes my shifter companions beat off a swarm to get here we I'll make you a Zombie Mohito.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Whew - I got captured by a hoard of zombies and only just escaped with my life. How did I do it? Well it's a long story, but I'm sure Eva has a clue!

    Eva, it's been wonderful having you as our special guest, you've been fantastic. We wish you even more amazing success and look forward to your return visit later this year.

    ReplyDelete

AUTHOR ROAST AND TOAST

AUTHOR ROAST AND TOAST
authorroast@btinternet.com
WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE OUR GUEST? DO YOU WANT TO PROMOTE YOUR NEW RELEASE OR EVEN AN OLDER ONE?IF YOU FANCY BEING GUEST OF HONOUR AT ONE OF OUR PARTIES JUST EMAIL US AT THE ADDRESS in 'OLIVER'S RULES'!(PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A 'G' RATED BLOG SO NOTHING HIGHER THAN THIS RATING, PLEASE.)